Sunday, January 3, 2016

Yeahbutcha's


Ephesians 4:22-24 …to put off our old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. ESV

If any of you know me or follow me on social media, you know that I can be outspoken and brutally honest.  I struggle with having a filter.  I even built my following of thousands on social media by telling it like it is.  You know what?  I’m not proud of that.  I’ve hurt a lot of people over the years with words that I have said and posted trying to be popular.

Things began to change for me about 2 years ago.  Suddenly, I was hearing phrases like “difficult to work with”, “she will make fun of you”, and “I was scared I would read about me on your page.”  I’m loud and outspoken and hard headed, but I’m telling you, those words gave me a terrible case of “yeahbutcha’s”.  I knew it was time to make changes in my life, but I came up with every excuse in the world why I couldn’t change..

What in the world are “yeahbutcha’s”?  It is doubt.  It is a powerful tool that Satan uses to make me question my self worth. I would think I was doing better and then I’d hear in my head, “yeah, but you know you haven’t really changed,” or “yeah, but you have hurt so many people,” or “yeah, but everybody remembers how you were on social media. You can’t change.  That’s who you really are.”

Ephesians 4:27,  the Apostle Paul tells us “and give no opportunity to the devil.”  Now, when I try to make changes in my life and that old self-doubt begins to manifest itself in my thoughts, I have to remember that I can put off my old self.  I can change.  God believes in me.  He made me in His image.  He even sent His only Son to DIE so that I am able to put on a new self.  There is nothing that I have done, am doing, or am going to do in the future that will make it impossible to change my life.  I will not suffer from “yeahbutcha’s”. I believe that God has a purpose for me.  I don’t know what it is yet, but I do know that He will show me when it is time.  Until then, I will rejoice in knowing that I am worthy.

The same goes for all of you.  There is nothing in your past that can keep you from the future that God has planned for you.  Nothing.  God already knows your past.  He also knows your future. Don’t make excuses.  Make goals.  Today is a brand new day.  Renew your mind.  Focus on where you are going, not where you have been.  Be worthy of all you are designed to be.

Thank You, God, for forgiveness. When I say, “Yeah, but I've done so much wrong,” I know You will answer with, “Yeah, but I made you. My Son died for those wrongs. It is forgiven.”

No comments:

Post a Comment