Thursday, January 21, 2016

Overloaded and Unappreciated?

1 Corinthians 14:40  But all things should be done decently and in order. ESV


I know that there are times in our lives when we take on more than we can handle.  We may be asked by a friend, boss, or committee to help out.  We have no desire to be involved, but pressure to do the right thing causes us to cave in to their request.  When we are overloaded, we tend to halfway do things to just get them done.  Sometimes, I say yes to a project and then find myself resenting it so badly that I have to work hard to do it decently.  Then I take it out on my family, who in turn resent me, and so on and so forth.  I have just set the tone for my household.

Our lives absolutely do not have to be this way.  We won’t cause a landslide of disaster if we simply say, “Thank you so much for thinking of me, but at this time, I’m not able to help you with this.”  It is a win/win for everyone.  You’re not resentful and they find someone who will give them the time that is needed.

Every one of us has limits on what we can physically accomplish.  We already have family, jobs, kids, housework, shuttle service, ballgames, friendships, and the list goes on and on.  What I want to say to you today is this: Unless you can do tasks decently, don’t feel pressured to do them.  Take care of yourself.

Today, God, I ask you to help me know my limitations.  Help me to know when I can help and when it is best for me to say no.  I ask that You remind me, that in everything I do, I am representing You.  Help me to do everything decently.

No comments:

Post a Comment