Monday, January 18, 2016

Happy Birthday To My Son

Numbers 6:24-26  “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.”  NIV

Thirty years ago today, I woke up with a crazy back ache.  My tailbone felt like it was broken.  I was 35 ½ weeks pregnant with my second child.  It was a Saturday.  I just didn’t get any relief and decided I might need to go be seen.  6 hours later, I was holding a tiny 5 lb 5 oz baby boy.  He was 4 inches from shoulder to shoulder.  His little arm was the size of my thumb, and his daddy could put his wedding ring over his foot.  We were scared to death.  But my boy was a fighter.

Jake has been a fighter all of his life. He’s had some struggles. Not only did God bring him through all of these struggles, He made him a wonderful man.  God sent him a wife who loves him and cares for him.  God blessed him with a son with this marriage, who is a blessing to our family.  God blessed their daughter with a beautiful heart. God gave them a beautiful, buck wild, precious son together.  The best part about his wife?  She puts up with him.  While a mama thinks her child is perfect, a wife gets to deal with all of the crazy.

My children and my grandchildren are the greatest joy in my life.  There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t pray for them and their spouses.  There have been times when we haven’t seen eye to eye, usually because I try to get in their business.  Thankfully, God also blessed my son with a forgiving heart.  That heart is probably encouraged by his wife, who knows the true value of family and forgiveness.  

As God works on me, I am also learning that remembering what  “happened” in the past can take all of your joy and rob you of so many precious times that will “happen” in the future. I see first hand in other family members the devastation and sadness that comes from parents holding on to old grudges.  It doesn’t matter how old a child is, they are still your child.  Love them like God loves you.  Unconditionally.

Dear God, today I thank you for my son.  Shine Your face on him.  Be gracious to him.  Bless him and his family.  Let him do mighty things for You.  You did a great job with him.  Thank You for choosing me to be his mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment