Thursday, January 14, 2016

Truth In Words


Proverbs 12:18  Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing.  NLT

There is a little bit of truth in every word that comes out of a person’s mouth.  Even when you add a remark such as “just kidding” or “lol”, most of the time, you’re not.

For most of my adult life, I thought that sarcasm was my spiritual gift.  I had no filter and just pretty much said what I thought.  It took me years, and some therapy, to realize that sarcasm is a tool to cover up hurt and insecurity.

As women, we use words like, “fine” or “sure” or “whatever”.  What we really mean is, “I’d really rather you not but I know you won’t listen to me anyway” or “You know you're about to get throat punched,” or “Are you really that stupid?”  As I’m working to filter my life, I’m also working to filter my mouth.  I’m also learning to say words that need to be said gently, before I’m to the pissed off stage.  I'm also learning that sometimes it's best to say nothing at all. 

Dear Jesus, thank you for helping me learn to use words that are pleasing to You. Help me know when it is ok to stand my ground with my words in an appropriate way. Help me to speak up when my feelings are hurt instead of dwelling on it. Help me to not use those cutting remarks when healing words will work so much better. Thank You for continuing to let me be a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment