Monday, February 15, 2016

The Year of the Onion ~

Luke 6:45   A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.  NIV

A precious friend of mine emailed me recently about these blogs.  She talked about the fact that I sometimes bring up my past and my regrets and suggested that perhaps I need to let all of that go.  Yesterday, Matt and I sat in church together and listened to a wonderful sermon that was based from Proverbs 4:23  “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.”  

God is camping out in my heart, especially when He seems to be pointing out to me that what is in my heart is what comes out of my mouth.  This is another big lesson in finding balance in my life.  While my friend is completely right in that I have to move out of yesterday, I cannot let it go until I clean it out and deal with it.

Hey God, every one of us have gone through a lot of joys, sorrows, heartbreak, triumphs, victories, and failures in our lives.  They have made us into who we are.  For me, this is my “year of the onion.”  This is the year that You are peeling away layer after layer after layer of hard, useless skin so that You can get to the tender part.  Help me to guard my heart against bitter, evil thoughts so that the tough layers don’t build back up.  Help me store so much good in my heart that it overflows into all that I do.  The past cannot be changed, but my heart can be.  For that, I sure am grateful.




No comments:

Post a Comment