Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Judging by Appearances

Proverbs 22:6  Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.  NIV

Earlier this week, we had a business dinner to attend.  A young couple sat next to us.  They were polite and friendly and I’m guessing they were maybe 20, if that.  When the young man took off his coat, I noticed he had a tattoo on his forearm.  It was a stick figure portraying...to clean it up...the symbol for “screw it” with the words included.  Let me say right here that I don’t have any problem with tattoos.  I have 2 of them.  I wasn’t offended by the fact that he had a tattoo, I was heartbroken that our young people have gotten so far away from morals and values.  I wanted to ask him what his grandmother would think of that tattoo!!

I am a very judgmental person.  I get this “I would NEVER”, holier than thou attitude.  As I struggled with ways to write this blog post, this kept coming back to me:  I wonder how many times I have been judged by others through my comments, my social media posts, my actions, etc.  So while I’m over here trying to find a way to throw this young man under the bus, I’m getting run over.  I am realizing that while I was trying so hard to be popular with my peers, I was an embarrassment to my family and to God.  You know what else I learned?  You can’t eat LIKES.  Being popular doesn’t pay your bills.  Being good at what you do, does.  Wasted years.  Wrong focus.  Worry about myself.

Hey God, You held me accountable again today.  I’m thankful that I was raised in a home of Godly parents.  I’m thankful that although I have strayed, that I am finding my way back to You.  I’m pretty sure this will be a continued work in progress.  That young man with the tattoo?  I pray You will put another person in his path who will share Jesus Christ with him.  I was too busy judging him to take the opportunity. Maybe he already knows You.  There I go assuming that he doesn’t by his tattoo.  Hold me accountable, God. Again ~

No comments:

Post a Comment