Saturday, December 12, 2015

You Can't Buy Love

Acts 20:35  In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”

I was having my coffee and watching the news this morning.  A storyline of came on that caught my eye.  A mom of 3 children had sent in a photo of her Christmas tree.  You could barely see her tree because she had purchased 100 gifts for each of her three children.  That’s her business and that’s the way she chooses to parent her children.  I also don’t know how they live their lives so I’m absolutely not judging her lifestyle because there may be more to the story.  My first thoughts, however, was that children don’t need things, they need love.

When I was a little girl, all of our family gathered at my grandparents on Christmas morning. It was a happy time of family, Life Saver books, and plenty of food. Everyone came and everyone got along. My children chose names from an “angel”  tree and we made a big production out of buying for others.  That was a big deal for us.  We tried to model behavior that Christmas meant giving to those who had nothing. Today's society just isn't like that.  I find myself caught up in the same trap.  I want my gifts to be perfect. I am a very emotional spender.  I try to buy my children and grandchildren’s love.  Yes, that’s insecurity on my part.  I worry that I won't measure up to what the other grandparents may give. The truth is that our grandchildren are happy just to be together and play.  We are so blessed that they have such great parents who instill in these children the joy of being together.

Help me, Jesus, to remember how important it is to give, but that love cannot be bought. Help all of us to remember the real reason of Christmas.  It’s not presents and Santa and lists of toys.  It’s time.  It’s love.  It’s remembering all of the people who have nothing.  Most importantly, it’s about Your birth. Help me to be thankful that God didn't give us things, He gave us You.

No comments:

Post a Comment