Sunday, December 13, 2015

Distractions

2 Corinthians 2:11  In order that Satan might not outwit us.  For we are not unaware of his schemes.

It worked out for us to go to church this morning.  I love church.  I love the messages and the feeling I get when I am filled with the Holy Spirit.  I do not, however, love distractions.  Like clicking pens.  Let me tell you, I cussed in my thoughts today.  I did not carry out the act but in my mind, I stood up, went to the back row, forcefully took the clicking pen out of the man’s hand, and threw it as far as I could throw it.

I should be ashamed for admitting that, but I’m one of those crazy people who cannot stand repetitive noises.  Besides,  who sits in church and clicks a pen over and over?  I sure had a “bless your heart” kind of moment.  I am fully aware that even an ink pen can be used by Satan to keep me (and others) distracted.  He will use anything to outwit us.  We know this.  So, why am I so easily distracted?  I wish I knew. Maybe it is from being raised Southern Baptist, where you were taught at an early age to be quiet in church. Children didn't dare even  open a peppermint!  Every mama in the church would turn around and give you “the look”. Yet here I was, knowing that I should be fully involved in the minister’s words, and I sat, instead, deciding if I wanted to take the pen and throw it, break it into pieces, or just break the guy’s clicking finger.

Lesson for the day:  Jesus purpose for my life is to follow His will. His will does not include distractions. His will involves commitment on my part; commitment to ignore Satan’s schemes to distract me. His will does not include even the withering look I may or may not have given towards the back row. Satan outwitted me this morning, God, with an ink pen. Help me to learn to focus on what is important. Help me to learn to ignore daily distractions that keep me from hearing what You want me to hear. And God, thank you for protecting the poor guy in the back row.


No comments:

Post a Comment