Thursday, December 31, 2015

I Can ~

I Can ~

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.  KJV

As 2015 comes to an end, I find myself looking forward to a new beginning tomorrow.  My life has changed so much in my relationship with Christ this year.  That is so BIG.  As my spiritual life has changed and grown, so has my physical body.  Fact: The older we get, the easier it is to get lazy.  Every year, I try to accomplish a personal goal.  This year was a fail.  I got lazy.

Three years ago, I was sick of being thick.  I decided to get myself in shape again.  I was so determined.  I remember the first time I walked a mile.  I think that it took me 18 minutes.  It almost killed me, too.  Well, maybe I just thought I’d die.  

I really worked hard to get in shape.  I did a few races, three half-marathons, a duathlon, and last year, I finished a sprint triathlon, placing 3rd in my age division.  I never was very good or very fast, but I was pretty proud just to finish.  I had a best friend who encouraged me all the time. I had motivation.  I had desire.  I was driven.  And then, just like that, this year I let life get in my way.  I stopped walking, running, or biking.  I stopped making time for me.

It is so hard to stay motivated in life. We become so busy with work and family and obligations, that we put ourselves and our desires on the back burner to simmer until we “have time” to take care of them.  Well, I’m 56 years old.  I think it’s time to remember that I am important.  My health is important.  If I’m healthier, I’m happier.

Making a commitment to take care of my health will not be easy. I’ve gotten discouraged.  There isn’t an excuse made of that I haven’t thought of.  But, this is going to happen.  I will start by making it public, which will, in a sense, make me accountable.
I will call my friend who will tell me that it’s about time I stopped making excuses.  I will pray about it as well.  I know I can do this.  I’ve done it before.  With the new love I have for Jesus, I may even look forward to some time spent walking, where I can clean out my thought closet.  You can do a lot of thinking when you’re miles away from home.

Dear Jesus,  thank you for not making excuses when we come to You for help.  Thank You for giving us the promise that “we can” do what we dedicate ourselves to do with Your help.  Most of us will make resolutions today.  It may not be health-oriented.  Please be our reminder that You will strengthen us if we just ask.

Wishing all of you a safe and happy New Year’s Eve and a prosperous 2016.  Take care of yourself, because you matter.





No comments:

Post a Comment