Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Spin cycle ~

Ecclesiastes 7:9 Be not quick in your spirit to become angry, for anger lodges in the heart of fools. ESV
This morning I stood in front of my washing machine impatiently waiting for the load to finish so that I could continue with my day.  The number on the dial said one minute left.  About 4 minutes later, it finally clicked off.  By this time, I was so frustrated that I had been standing there waiting for things to happen when I had things to do.  I had wasted 4 precious minutes of my busy life waiting on the spin cycle. Man, I was slinging clothes, slamming lids, slapping light switches….and maybe cussin’ a little.
It hit me pretty hard that it was time to practice what I have been struggling with in the last two years, the art of finding balance in my life. Sure, I have been thrown off by an inconvenience, but would I really be willing to let 240 seconds set my outlook for the rest of the day?  I needed to just stop and regroup.
So many times, we let a minor inconvenience define our mood.  We get stuck in the spin cycle.  Once it starts and we let Satan use the power of that cycle, the faster everything seems to get out of control.  Watch and see.  The kids will start crying, the phone will ring, you’ll get 47 texts from a friend wanting to know why you’re not texting back, the dog will throw up on your brand new rug….and Satan will rejoice in the fact that you have lost your “balance”.
I could have used those 4 minutes to pray or to just take a deep breath and relax. Instead, I got all out of balance.  Am I balanced now?  Heck no.  I am not wired that way. I am “clicked off” to the mood I was spinning towards.

Thanks, God, for giving me the grace to recognize sin and mercy to forgive me for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment