Monday, December 28, 2015

Whosoever ~ Even Me

Whosoever ~ Even Me

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. NIV

I’ve been thinking about this one for a while now, and I am still not sure how to write it.  

When I went through my divorce, there was a time when money was so tight I didn’t know how I would make ends meet.  I was working 2 jobs and doing all that I could.  I remember one specific time that I just couldn’t pay all of my bills.  I humbled myself and went to see my pastor.  I had been a member of the church for 12 years.  Maybe they could help me just this once.  I was so embarrassed, but I had to have help and was too ashamed to ask my family.  I remember going in, sitting down and crying while I asked the preacher for $100 so I could keep my power on for my children.  I will never forget what he told me.  He said perhaps I needed another job, that their church didn’t feel that it was right to support people who chose to divorce.

I left that church feeling less than worthy.  I about stopped loving Jesus that day.  If that is how religious people help others, then I wasn’t sure that I wanted to have religion. Thankfully, Jesus didn’t stop loving me.  He kept me safe through years of stupidness.  He waited on me.  He knew I was worthy. He taught me to have compassion for women who are struggling to make ends meet.  

It took me a long time to believe that the Bible says that whosoever believes will be saved.  It says everybody. This includes the lonely, newly divorced mommy who is barely holding things together. It includes the teenagers whose hearts are breaking because their parents are divorcing and act like they hate each other.

I shared this story with you to tell you that no matter what you are going through, Jesus does love you.  He will always love you.  You will make it through your struggles.  You will be ok again. You are a whosoever.  I’m living proof that a man in a church building who made me feel less than worthy because I was divorced did not define who I became. I had to remember that I am a whosoever.  Thank You, God, for waiting on me.  Thank You for eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment