Monday, June 6, 2016

For Better or for Worse ~

Hosea 2:19  I will make you my wife forever, showing you righteousness and justice, unfailing love and compassion.  NLT

When my mom was 17 years old, she worked at a photo studio in Thomasville, Georgia.  My dad, fresh out of the Marines, took a roll of film in to be developed.  My mom said she almost wore the image off of the print looking at his face.  They were married 6 weeks later.  On June 24th, that will be 60 years ago.  

Their marriage has not always been easy.  They have had their share of better and worse, sickness and health, richer and for poorer.  The main thing they have had is their love for each other and their love for God.  

Yesterday, my mom invited me up to make some pictures of them.  She put on her original wedding gown, he wore his best suit.  They held hands and toddled out to the Confederate Jasmine arch in their yard and posed.  My heart was so overwhelmed with emotion.  Daddy will be 86 in October.  Mama would spank me if I shared her age, so…  Two sparrows in a hurricane...frail and wobbly, but still flying.

God, today I thank You that You chose these people to be my parents.  All of my life, I’ve had the unconditional love and stability of Godly parents.  They’ve weathered the storms of life and continue to love You.  Thank You for leading my parents to stay together all of these years.  Marriage is hard, God.  Thank You for blessing my parents with a ‘forever’ kind of marriage.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! found your blog, love it!! Loved this little story about your folks...but didn't see the pictures! Would love to see how they turned out! Keep up the amazing work, God definitely has plans for you.

    ReplyDelete