Sunday, May 8, 2016

My Mom~

Proverbs 31:28  Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:  NIV

Who I am today is a product of how my Mom has lived her life.  My parents have been together 60 years this coming June.  My Dad worked hard all of his life and provided for us, but it is my Mom who is the glue that binds the family.

As a young bride, she moved away from her family to the boonies of Screven, Georgia.  My sister and I were born there.  She provided a home for my Daddy and two little girls until we moved to Tennessee, and then to South Georgia when I was 4.  I look back on little things now and realize that we didn’t have much in those years, but my sister and I never knew it, because my Mom always made the house we lived in into a home.  

We were inspired to do our best by her leadership.  When I was in high school, my Mom decided to go back to school.  She became an EMT first, then went on to nursing school.  She worked as an LPN until her retirement, (always wearing a starched uniform to work) all while providing a clean home, taking care of the financing, getting us to and from cheerleading and band practices, made our uniforms by hand, and seeing that my Dad always had a hot meal to eat.  And...she kept her yard immaculate.  

Never once in my entire life has my Mom turned her back on me.  I know I’ve disappointed her more than once, but she has always had my back.  She is the poster child for “unconditional love”.  Now, that love may have meant she’d beat our butts when we were young, but you know….

God, my Mom is slowing down.  It is so hard to see such a beautiful, vibrant woman struggle with the beginnings of Parkinson’s.  Thank You for giving me to such a wonderful Mother.  I am so blessed to have her.  Please give her mercy and grace through this season in her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment