Saturday, July 9, 2016

I'm Just Kidding ~

James 3:5  So too the tongue is a small part of the body, yet it has great pretensions. Think how small a flame sets a huge forest ablaze.  NIV
There is an old saying that there is just a little bit of truth in every sentence that is spoken; especially the ones that end in, “I’m just kidding”.  

I wish I had a nickel for every time I had my feelings hurt by someone speaking “I'm just kidding” words to or about me. I'd be living on a remote island with 24 hour a day maid service.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I had hurt someone by speaking “I'm just kidding” or sarcastic words to or about them. I'd buy the island.

Relationships are hard enough. How easy it is to fall into a pattern of snarking at each other. It starts off as a comment, followed by “I'm just kidding” when really you aren't. Feelings are hurt, then you want to defend yourself. Then anger flares. Before you know it, a full blown argument has begun.  The thing is, words destroy your self-confidence, your motivation, your hopes and dreams if you listen them.

God, today I ask You to help those who have fallen into the “snarky” trap in their relationship.  Give them strength to be bold and break the cycle.  Cover them with your grace.  And for me, please help me to remember this post and apply it in my life.  Teach me to talk about problems in an appropriate manner before they get to the “I’m just kidding” stage.  

No comments:

Post a Comment